Friday, November 23, 2012

Thanksgiving Thursday...Full of Thanks!

I am not full of food yet.  That comes in a little bit.

But thanks...I am full of it.

Overflowing you could say.

Much like the rolls I put out way too early to thaw.

They look like balloons, about to pop.

That is how much thanks I have.

A lot.

Even though it has been a hard year.

Even though I have felt like Stretch Armstrong, pulled and stretched beyond what I have desired.

Even though the year has held disappointments and tears, losses and struggles.

I am still thankful.

So it is time to get back on the Thankful Thursday track.

Here are just a few things I am thankful for this Thursday (which happens to be Thanksgiving)...in no particular order:

  • my husband. He truly is my best friend.  We laugh together, cry together, survive together.  I know I can tell him anything and not be judged (at least out loud :).  And he still makes my heart skip a beat when he wraps his arms around me as I work in the kitchen or I see him unexpectedly out and about.  He is such a blessing and proof to me that God must REALLY love me to give me such an amazing man in spite of who I am.
  • my children.  I know, I know.  They are work.  And they exhaust me. And exasperate me.  This motherhood thing is the hardest job I have ever had.  At the same time, they bring me joy.  They guide my thoughts and actions each day. And they make me strive to be a better person.
  • my pup.  She is like therapy in a bundle of fur.  At the end of the day, we usually hang out...she curls up on my feet while I blog, FB, and do whatever I need to do in cyberspace.  In her, I have unconditional love.  Well, mostly.  When I give her a bath or a flea treatment, she dislikes me for a bit.
  • my crockpot.  It has faithfully served me many a day when I needed a good warm meal ready when I came home.
  • my minivan. Don't get me wrong. I still miss my beloved Accord.  Still.  But the minivan is a necessity at this point in my life. And it has been good to me. That and I love my heated seats.  
  • my parents who didn't do too bad a job raising me (or at least trying to :) and who now are very involved in the lives of my children.
  • my sister (and her family).  She has known me for many years and still claims me.  :)
  • our house. Oh, it could be bigger.  It could be newer.  But it is a good house and I am grateful we live in it.
  • my job. Much like being a mom, being a teacher is no easy job.  It requires a LOT of time, energy, and strength. And it requires a thick skin.  Everywhere I turn, teachers are blamed for the many ills of society.  But the teachers I know love what they do. We love our students and give our all to make sure they become the men and women they were designed to be.  It is rare for me to have a truly bad day at school...most days I can't help but smile.  Those kids bring me joy.
  • my ipod/iphone. I love having such an eclectic mix and pushing "shuffle".  Then I get to listen to a little Bon Jovi followed by Michael W. Smith.
  • blankets.  I am always cold.
  • warm showers after a long day.
  • my elliptical.
  • My Fitness Pal which reminds me when I am eating too much or need to exercise more. :)
  • Pinterest.  I have found some mighty fine recipes and school ideas on there.
  • the blog. Yes, I have a love/hate relationship with it but it is my family history and the closest thing we have to a scrapbook around here...
  • my mini food processor which shreds cheese with ease for me.
  • my bed. Nothing fancy but I love curling up in it and snoozing.
  • sunsets and rainbows. Both take my breath away.
  • the beach.  Sigh.  I love the beach.
  • sushi dates with my hubby.
  • on-line shopping
  • time off with family.
  • friends.
  • a God who loves me all of the time.  No matter what.
  • the promise of eternal life.
I could go on and on but I better save some things for future Thankful Thursdays.  :)

What are you thankful for this Thanksgiving week?

Reba

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sweet Words of Wisdom