Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Oh, the Places I Want To Go

(Title is a take off of a Dr. Seuss book...I am a kindergarten teacher after all)

I have a confession. I really don't think you will be surprised. Are you ready to hear it? Really? You won't think less of me?

I have a restless heart.

I don't know where I got it. I don't think I had it growing up. I have always been very conservative, very much a "homebody", very "safe".

But somehow I got bitten. Bitten by the travel bug. And now I cannot get enough.

I know, I know. I have been on the go. I know that in my head. But in my heart, I am still restless.

I don't know if it is because I didn't wade in the ocean this year. Or maybe because our hiking has slowed for the summer which seems to help ease the restlessness. Maybe it is just because this summer has been a little off (shorter and not even that sunny/hot).

No matter what the cause, the symptoms are the same. I find myself reading with envy travel stories on FB. I dream of running away for a weekend. (I wouldn't really do it, but I like to dream :) I re-visit pictures of our vacation this summer and try to remember that rush of excitement. It is a restless heart.

I have a long list in my mind of where I want to go next. I love exploring new places, trying new restaurants, learning more about different places in our country.

Unfortunately, I don't have the bank account to support my restless heart. That, and Mark has to work and all. (And I will too in another month)

I am not complaining. I am not ungrateful. I am thankful for the travel we have done, like winning a couple trips (San Diego, San Francisco) and trips we have budgeted for (instead of say getting new vehicles or redoing the house). I really am.

Unfortunately, I think those experiences have just fed my heart.

It is restless.

Sigh.

More later,
Reba

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sweet Words of Wisdom