Last night, I was sitting in my house after a VERY long day. I was having my typical one person pity party after having run all over for kid activities and not getting to eat dinner (one of my favorites) until 7:30 (I eat lunch around 11:15). One child was whining and complaining, another one was dilly dallying instead of doing what needed to be done (cleaning the room), one was resisting a much needed bedtime, another was needling the whiner and complainer. All this after a long day at school with kids who have one thing on the mind this time of year. Christmas. I was looking at my bare tree and very undecorated house wondering when I was supposed to work on it all. We had some bad family news. And I was tired.
But Thankfully, it is Thursday.
A new day.
And today I have things to be thankful for.
I probably did yesterday too but I was not in the right frame of mind to think of them.
Today I can.
That in itself is something to be thankful for.
Here are a few other things I am thankful for...
- The joy of seeing the holidays through my children's eyes. Child 3 is in awe of Christmas lights. It has made me slow down and truly appreciate the twinkling lights and fun displays too.
- The warm winter weather. I know a lot of people are ready for the cold. Those people are not me. I do NOT like winter weather. Not at all. And I am enjoying each and every moment of this warmer weather. Today felt like spring. I wanted to have class outside the rest of the day. :)
- A dead battery. Okay, not so thankful for that. But I am thankful that the two times it was dead, I was at home or at school AND my husband was in the nearby vicinity (a rare treat :). Even better, we were afraid it was the starter or alternator but it was the battery AND that was under warranty. VERY thankful for that. Running smoothly now.
- A rare evening at home. One child is playing volleyball, another does gymnastics. Three days of the week involve a lot of running around. Thankful for hubby who came home from work early to take the volleyball player to practice, giving me an entire evening at home. Little ones and I even got some Christmas decorating done
- On-line shopping. It is the only way to go. :)
- A Saturday in Tulsa with my mom for some shopping and some eating. I very much enjoyed the time.
- Thankful that my car did NOT die when we were in Tulsa.
- My daddy. It is his birthday. He was and always will be my hero. I am thankful that he gives me a glimpse of who my Heavenly Father is through his unconditional love, his hard work, his honesty, his fairness, his dedication to family and God.
- Oh Holy Night. The one Christmas carol that makes me stop and truly reflect.
- Mrs. Vickey who graciously volunteered to wrap Christmas books for me for our book tradition. She wrapped about half of them for me which has been a God-send in this crazy time of year.
- A mostly redecorated toyroom and girls' room
- My students. This time of year is a tough one but I am so excited to see the learning taking place. That and they just make me smile. Most days. :)
- Ear infections. Not that I want my kids to be sick. But I had to run Child 4 to the doctor because he has been so congested. That and his golf ball size tonsils. SOOOO thankful that it was nothing serious (I was fearing pneumonia)...just a couple of slightly infected ears. The doctor was wonderful to work with me on finding a medicine that (knock on wood) has not affected behavior. And he could go right back to school.
- Special times with friends.
- My co-workers.
- Pajama Day tomorrow. :) Can't wait!