Saturday, August 10, 2013

Wrapping It Up...

Saturday evening, after a long day of hiking and exploring, we went to a restaurant/grill for dinner. It was labeled as "Italian" though our bed and breakfast owner let us know it wasn't true Italian. That was okay. I had a delicious dinner of seafood pasta, real Italian or not. I enjoyed every bite. After that, we walked through Clifton Hill (the tourist spot) to visit the Falls one more time. Oh my. Clifton Hill was TOO much for me. I am just not a "touristy" type. That was the moment I was even more thankful for our bed and breakfast off the beaten path.

Our visit to the Falls, the last for the trip, was short and sweet. Apparently it was a three day weekend for Canadians. There were people EVERYWHERE. It was almost suffocating. So I just snapped a few pictures then we walked back to the bed and breakfast to pack our things. (We walked probably 10 miles in all that day)

One last look at the American and Bridal Veil Falls...
The only time I really enjoyed the lights was when they lit up the American Falls with red, white, and blue; otherwise, I preferred the natural white.
And one last look at the Horseshoe Falls...
The next day, we got up early and left Canada.  By the way, that is the time to leave. We returned to the US via the Rainbow Bridge with virtually no wait.  A few hours later, the traffic would have been back up on the bridge. 

We drove through New York, Pennsylvania, Ohio, and Kentucky to our last destination of the getaway...Cumberland Falls State Park.

Sidenote:  Along the way, we needed to stop for lunch.  I searched my app "iWant" and found a burger joint in a little town in Ohio.  It was a little off our path and added a little time to an already long day but it was worth it.  I ate all but one bite of one of the best burgers I have ever had.  I don't even want to know how many calories I consumed.  It is probably a good thing that I had NO desire to even have any dinner or food the rest of the day...

Anyway, after we got to the park and got the keys to our room, we drove (still sore from our walk the day before) to the Falls.  Cumberland Falls is called the Niagara of the South. After seeing it, I understand. It really is like a miniature Niagara...
One of my friends had said it would be a letdown after seeing Niagara.  I will admit, it looked really small. But I still loved it. I love waterfalls.

I also love butterflies. I loved having the opportunity to try out the zoom on my camera...

This really reminded me of Niagara...the water often looked just like this as it fell over the Falls.

After seeing the waterfall from a few different spots, we walked along the Cumberland River and came upon this bridge. It was just a neat setting. 

This picture pretty much sums up our trip...loved every minute with this man.

The next day, we again got up early and hit the road (thankfully gaining an hour along the way).  About 12 hours later (after driving across Kentucky, hitting a small part of Illinois, driving through part of Missouri, and along some of Arkansas, we returned home. 

And just like that, the adventure was over. But the memories will remain with me for days and years to come...

More later,
Reba

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sweet Words of Wisdom