Wednesday, February 27, 2013

This is the Day, This is the Day...

That the Lord Has Made...

That the Lord Has Made...

I will rejoice.

I will rejoice.

And be glad in it.

And be glad in it.

This is the day that the Lord hath made.

I will rejoice and be glad i it.

This is the day.

This is the day.

That the Lord has made...

If you attended any kind of youth service at church in the 80's, you know exactly how to sing this song in your head. (It is an echo song :)

So this is what happened.

I woke up this morning.  It was snowing.  Big beautiful flakes.  I am not a snow person at all.  But I will admit, it looked really pretty falling. And though I am also not big on snow days, I looked around the house at all of the projects I needed to work on, and I was okay with it.  Except we didn't have a snow day. We had snow but we also had dry streets. Or at least just wet streets.  So the day was already starting off a little "off"...

On a positive note, we were at school on our "extra day of summer vacation".  That is one more day this summer I wouldn't have had if we had stayed home.  And I was thankful the streets weren't a mess so I wouldn't have to worry about the safety of anyone out on the road.

Picture day.  It is picture day.  Ugh. It is picture day.  What do I wear? What did I wear last year?  What is clean?  What will look good in pictures? What will make me look okay in pictures?


Yet I am thankful.  Thankful I have a closet full of clothes waiting for me.  

One of my children started bucking me from the moment he/she was awake.  Not happy about my clothing or hair choices for the pictures.  I let that child choose 364 days of the year...do you think letting me decide one day is too much to ask?


Again, I am grateful. I am grateful for children who have opinions and aren't afraid to share them, though we are still working on the "delivery".

I drive to school. We are behind schedule.  I don't know why.  Arguing children.  Mom is extra busy.  It is still snowing.  I am ALWAYS on time.  ALWAYS.  (For school)  And technically I was on time today. But I cut it too close for comfort.


Yet I am thankful again. I have a job I love with people I enjoy working with. Every day I get to watch children blossom before my eyes.  We all have rough days when we are a step behind.  Tomorrow will hopefully be better.

Lunch time. I drive home to let the pup out for a bit and to pop some dinner in the crockpot.  And hopefully eat but often I end up with about 10 minutes to eat after taking care of everything else around the house.  Sigh.

Though I felt rushed, I did take time to notice the trees on my drive home.  With the snow (that melted shortly afterwards), the trees were absolutely breath taking.

I was looking so forward to Zumba; even more, the boys had dentist appointments and haircuts with their dad so I didn't have to do my usual "running around" after school. I would get to stay the full amount of time.  I enjoy my time with my co-workers, and I get my exercise out of the way for the day.  Except I found out this afternoon that our fearless Zumba leader was ill.  No Zumba for us. :(

Which actually worked out because Child 2's normal ride for the afternoon could not pick her up.  So I ended up having to leave school pretty quickly after dismissal to pick her and a friend up.  And though it wasn't part of my plans, I was thankful to be the picker upper when so often others help me by picking up...

I get a phone call just as I am about home.  My dear hubby says, "Is this crockpot supposed to be off?"  Groan...

Since the chicken sat out for 4 hours, I couldn't justify cooking it.  But thankfully I had more chicken in the freezer.  And though I didn't have the nice bottled teriyaki I had used the first time, I found a great recipe through Google to make my own teriyaki sauce.  It was obviously disappointing to have lost all of that food, but we survived and ended up eating a pretty good meal.

My favorite yeast spilled out of the container in the freezer.  All over my newly cleaned kitchen floor.  Bummer!

Thankfully it wasn't a lot of yeast.  I whipped out the vacuum and cleaned up the floor.  And then I attacked the freezer. I spent quite a while throwing out food we are not going to eat (I won't tell you how old some of it was) and organizing what was left.  It should be MUCH easier to see what we have and don't have. When it is a tad bit warmer, I will tackle the ones in the garage.  A little work but worth it!

There were other odds and ends, like a student moving and sassy children at home.  Messes and near misses.  Things that made me groan.  Times I wondered why.  And a few times I felt like just throwing in the towel (for the day).

But I have to say, even in those not as fun times, I am grateful.  I know these things are all minor (especially compared to what so many of my friends are dealing with).  And I know that no matter what the day brings, this is the day that the Lord has made.  I will rejoice and be glad in it...

Reba


1 comment:

  1. great song. i will singing the first you sing the second. go this is the :)
    sounds like an action packed reba day.

    ReplyDelete

Sweet Words of Wisdom