Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Twas the Night Before the Night Before Christmas...

No. I didn't hit the Jackpot. We won 23 dollars.  To split among a bunch of us.  We gave it to charity instead. :)

Anyway, I need to be sleeping but these thoughts are swirling around in my mind...

This is obviously adapted from Twas the Night Before Christmas by Clement Moore...

Twas the night before the night before Christmas, when all through the house
Not a creature was stirring, except Reba Cloud
The stockings were hung by the fireplace with care,
In hopes that St Nicholas soon would be there.

The children were sprawled all over their beds,
While visions of iPads danced in their heads.
And Dad just a snoring, the dog in his lap,
Had settled down for a long winter’s nap.

When in the other room, there are such a clatter,
I sprang to action to see what was the matter.
Away to the wrapping paper, I flew like a flash,
As my heart began to race and I broke out in a rash.

A present is missing, I thought with great fear.
As slowly my blue eyes filled up with tears
I prayed and I prayed for that present to appear,
But sadly I discovered it just wasn't here.

I threw aside the tape and scissors, and to the table did run,
Finding our Christmas cards sitting undone.
I grabbed up the labels, and I let out a small sigh of shame
As I wearily began to call out each name.

"Now Smiths! now, Jones! now, Williams and Mils!
On, Thompson! On, Davis! on Presleys and Hills!
To the envelopes, I quickly went to work
Slapping down those labels with a little hand jerk.

As dry leaves that before the wild hurricane fly,
I noticed the redness in my very tired eyes.
I glanced at the clock, and listened to the tick tock,
As I saw the time was 2 o'clock.

I dashed to the kitchen, and washed my weary hands
To make dough for the Christmas cookie demands.
I quickly threw in the butter, egg, and all purpose flour,
Trying not to notice the very late hour.

My eyes, how bloodshot, my arms how they ached.
I began to look cross-eyes, oh for goodness sake
My mouth was drawn up, into a tired frown.
While my shoulders so weary began to cast down.

The t.v. in the background filled the room with noise,
As I continued to wrap up outfits and toys.
The room was littered with tape, paper, and tags,
Along with dozens of Amazon boxes and Target bags.

I was chubby and plump, a right weary old elf,
And I laughed when I saw my face in the mirror, in spite of myself!
A blink of my eyes and a nod of my head,
Soon let me know I must go to bed.

I spoke not a word, but continued my work,
And wrapped a few more presents, then turned with a jerk.
I brushed my teeth, surveyed the many piles,
And decided that the rest could wait a little while!

I turned off the light and crawled into my bed,
While visions of to do lists whirled through my head.
As I rolled over to sleep, I let out a small sigh,
Trying not to think of all left to do with a cry.

Tomorrow's Christmas Eve, and there's still so much to do before the fun...
 As I remember once again, a mother's work is never done.

Merry Christmas!

1 comment:

  1. LOVE. IT. I, too, was the last one up last night just working away while they have no clue. Tough work being a mama. Merry Christmas to your family.

    ReplyDelete

Sweet Words of Wisdom