Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Dear Clothes Designers...

Dear Clothes Designers,

There are some things about the real world that you need to know...

There are short people in the world. Short does NOT equal frumpy. Short also does not equal fat (though I could stand to lose a few pounds). I find all kinds of fashion and style in the misses and junior sections. My eyes turn green with envy as I survey the fun colors, the fun styles, the variety. Unfortunately those are all too long for me. So I move on over to the petite section. The petite section is petite in every sense of the word. Variety? Mmm...not so much. It is like the tall people have the whole house, and petites are relegated to the walk-in closet. Elastic waistbands? Just because I am petite (as in short) does NOT mean I need elastic in my pants. I am capable of buttoning and zipping. And short does mean short. I am noticing more and more that the "short" pants I buy drape the floor. And I am not even an overly short person (as far as compared to other "shorties" out there).

Also, shirts. I like color. I like design. I just want my money's worth. It seems like so many of the tops I try on are LOW cut; where is the rest of the fabric? I teach school. I cannot wear clothing like that working with young children. I am not a prude by any means but really...do all tops have to "dip"? Can crewnecks be made to look somewhat stylish?

Finally, remember this is the real world. What looks good on runway models does NOT necessarily translate to what looks good on 38 year old teacher/housewives. I am not a teeny bopper wearing tees and cute jeans all of the time. Yet I have not moved on to the elastic pants or polyester. Is it too hard to come up with clothing that looks nice on people like me...someone who has birthed children? Someone trying to watch her weight but having to eat on the run on occasion? Someone who makes efforts to exercise but at the same time is exhausted by the end of the day from chasing after children?

I realize you are the designers. The ones with credentials saying you know style. You know fashion. I am just one of the poor souls who tried on a stack of clothing today in hopes that one or two pieces could be salvaged.

Your friend,
Reba (petite but not frumpy)

PS To the rest of the world...can you tell what I did tonight? :)

3 comments:

  1. Where's the like button? :) Guess I'm on facebook too much! I am in the same position as you. I have given in a few times recently when I found something I really liked AND was a great price and had it hemmed. But I'm not always willing to take that second step - both for the time and expense.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! I know it isn't really funny to you...but still.... Hope they (the designers) get the message!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Banana Republic petites. Super cute.

    ReplyDelete

Sweet Words of Wisdom