Tuesday, June 11, 2013

My Summer Bucket List

My daughter told me a few days ago that one of her friends had made a summer bucket list and that she was going to do the same.

I think I laughed and thought, "Kids."

But then yesterday she showed me her list.

I LOVE it.

It is just a fun mixture of simple fun ideas and a few outrageous.

It is carefree.

It is so her.

And it got me to thinking...

Why don't I have my own summer bucket list?

The funny thing is that I have been contemplating this for about 24 hours now and it is not easy.

I have to work really hard to separate "bucket list" and my "to do" list.

The "to do" list is easier for me to think of!

When did I become so boring, so practical?

I think it was the day I became a mom.

But I am determined to come up with a list.

I am trying to think of fun out of the ordinary things for me but also somewhat practical/attainable.

I mean, a week long getaway to an exotic location with just the hubs is a dream of mine but that doesn't mean it is going to happen this year or next or even the next.  I mean, who wants our four kids for a week? And we just started paying for braces.

 Or spending a day eating just chocolate...that would be a dream come true. But I can't do that to my body; I have worked too hard to get where I am at now.

Or a week at the beach with my parents and my sister/her family...it is a HUGE dream of mine.  Not happening this year. And probably not next either.

But I have come up with a few things, though this list is a work in progress.  There are a few I won't share, just for modesty's sake...

My summer bucket list:
  • to say "yes" more than I say "no" to my kids. You have NO idea how hard this is for me!
  • to nap anytime I want (every day if I want to) without feeling guilty about it
  • to go on a float trip (this one may be happening soon!)
  • to eat lobster and shrimp ravioli and Joe's incredible rolls without an ounce of guilt or regret
  • to dance in the rain with my daughter
  • to spend just one day ALL day on my computer whether it is playing games, cleaning out my cache, or organizing my bookmarks
  • to read at least one (if not more) book just for fun...not for parenting or teaching!
  • to wear eye shadow (a little odd but I just don't do that typically)
  • to get a new camera
  • to go to the farmer's market at least once (if not more)
  • to slow dance with my husband (love to but it is rare)
  • to make homemade ice cream (no, don't have a maker...)
  • to do a random act of kindness
  • to find a shark tooth on the beach (but not IN the shark's mouth)
  • to watch a meteor shower with my husband...even better, outside of the city limits/lights!
  • to see a waterfall that takes my breath away
  • to watch the sun rise at least once (I am usually snoozing)
  • to visit some local "swimming holes" with the kids
  • to not set my alarm clock as much as possible
  • to make smores with the kids 
  • to visit with friends...you know, the ones we always say we need to get together with but don't!
  • to ride a bike trail
  • to learn how to grill
  • visit a state park
  • to pay off something I have wanted paid off for a long time
  • to buy a pair of fun summer time pajamas
  • to eat a Chicago pizza
  • to feel God's presence in a MIGHTY way, something that can only be experienced, not explained
  • to go to the zoo
Well, it's a start.

I am sure more will come to me with time.

I know I won't do all of them but it has been fun to think about.

So...what is on your bucket list for the summer?

Reba

2 comments:

  1. love your text... it's fun and playful..

    the list looks awesome! Hopefully I can help you with a few of them.

    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait... I did not see come to NJ and hang out with your blog buddy. :)
    Wow, sounds like a great list. I am going to write one as well. Stay tuned.
    I think of you often.

    ReplyDelete

Sweet Words of Wisdom