I think I laughed and thought, "Kids."
But then yesterday she showed me her list.
I LOVE it.
It is just a fun mixture of simple fun ideas and a few outrageous.
It is carefree.
It is so her.
And it got me to thinking...
Why don't I have my own summer bucket list?
The funny thing is that I have been contemplating this for about 24 hours now and it is not easy.
I have to work really hard to separate "bucket list" and my "to do" list.
The "to do" list is easier for me to think of!
When did I become so boring, so practical?
I think it was the day I became a mom.
But I am determined to come up with a list.
I am trying to think of fun out of the ordinary things for me but also somewhat practical/attainable.
I mean, a week long getaway to an exotic location with just the hubs is a dream of mine but that doesn't mean it is going to happen this year or next or even the next. I mean, who wants our four kids for a week? And we just started paying for braces.
Or spending a day eating just chocolate...that would be a dream come true. But I can't do that to my body; I have worked too hard to get where I am at now.
Or a week at the beach with my parents and my sister/her family...it is a HUGE dream of mine. Not happening this year. And probably not next either.
But I have come up with a few things, though this list is a work in progress. There are a few I won't share, just for modesty's sake...
My summer bucket list:
- to say "yes" more than I say "no" to my kids. You have NO idea how hard this is for me!
- to nap anytime I want (every day if I want to) without feeling guilty about it
- to go on a float trip (this one may be happening soon!)
- to eat lobster and shrimp ravioli and Joe's incredible rolls without an ounce of guilt or regret
- to dance in the rain with my daughter
- to spend just one day ALL day on my computer whether it is playing games, cleaning out my cache, or organizing my bookmarks
- to read at least one (if not more) book just for fun...not for parenting or teaching!
- to wear eye shadow (a little odd but I just don't do that typically)
- to get a new camera
- to go to the farmer's market at least once (if not more)
- to slow dance with my husband (love to but it is rare)
- to make homemade ice cream (no, don't have a maker...)
- to do a random act of kindness
- to find a shark tooth on the beach (but not IN the shark's mouth)
- to watch a meteor shower with my husband...even better, outside of the city limits/lights!
- to see a waterfall that takes my breath away
- to watch the sun rise at least once (I am usually snoozing)
- to visit some local "swimming holes" with the kids
- to not set my alarm clock as much as possible
- to make smores with the kids
- to visit with friends...you know, the ones we always say we need to get together with but don't!
- to ride a bike trail
- to learn how to grill
- visit a state park
- to pay off something I have wanted paid off for a long time
- to buy a pair of fun summer time pajamas
- to eat a Chicago pizza
- to feel God's presence in a MIGHTY way, something that can only be experienced, not explained
- to go to the zoo
I am sure more will come to me with time.
I know I won't do all of them but it has been fun to think about.
So...what is on your bucket list for the summer?