Thursday, June 11, 2009

An Eerie Glow

Today started off fairly sunny but as the day went on, the clouds grew darker and darker. Around 6, we were all out in the backyard when rain started to fall. We quickly picked up toys and headed inside. A big storm, thunder and lightning included, blew through. Then around 8:30, our son came running into my room (on his way to bed). He told me that the sky was orange. Our daughter (the older one) then came in and told me about the "sunset" that was pink and orange. So I had to take a look. This is what I found in front of the house:
Then in the back of the house (where it was truly more pink than orange), I found a full rainbow right over the trees that are beyond our fence.
I will admit, it was a bit freaky. I started wondering if we were in the midst of some nuclear disaster or if the rapture was happening. However, my sister later told me that the weatherman explained it...apparently when the sun was setting, they hit the low-lying clouds in just the right way. It really was something I had never seen before.

Anyway, as far as toddlerhood goes, it was a so so day...not the best of times, not the worst of times. :) I set up the pack and play for a time out spot (since he doesn't seem to like to stay put otherwise). Busy Toddler went there a few times, but overall, he was quite delightful. So I cannot complain. :) On the other hand, the girls were at it all day long. They couldn't agree on ANYTHING. I may find that the i-Touch becomes an escape for me...now I have added some songs from favorite CD's and I have figured out how to listen to our favorite radio station, so I can just tune everyone out, right?

Thank you for the offers from afar to babysit. It was tempting, but with the cost of airline tickets and all, it would have been a VERY expensive reunion. Thankfully, someone I had sent a plea out to on Facebook saved the day. One of our interns from last school year (whom our son adored) has accepted the job.

In other news, today the phone rang. It was a number I didn't recognize so I didn't answer it (I was in the midst of serving lunch). But when I heard the first part of the message, I quickly grabbed the phone. It was Greg from Panasonic. He was calling to see if one day next week (yes, NEXT WEEK) would be good for getting us set up! Thankfully I am free. Mark will be hit and miss since he just started his new job. But it works for us!

I don't remember if I mentioned the other day, but we started chore lists this week. I have asked kids to do things on occasion. And some things (like making beds) have been normal routine from the time of independence. However, we have never had regular chores. I decided it would be good for ALL of us to be invested in our house. So I started this week. I am still playing around with it, but for now, I am just making a list each day...four things for the two big kids, and then Child 3 has three. My hope is to get some magnetic printer labels to print common chores on and put on the fridge, changing them daily. That way I can save paper and do it quickly. The first day the kids were ecstatic. Today I started getting some grumbling (I won't say who but it was the one who was hounding me to type up the list the other day). I simply stated that complaining would result in an extra chore. The grumbling stopped. :) We are not paying for chores (I have yet to be paid for making my bed or emptying the dishwasher) unless it is something above and beyond which happens on occasion. We just think of it as being a part of this household. I have been pleased overall. The two big kids have emptied the dishwasher, and Child 3 helped me do that chore one day (she was thrilled). And other than a little grumbling today, they have been more than willing to do their "jobs". I am hoping by changing them daily they won't get bored with them. I will admit, when I am emptying the dishwasher for the third time in a day, I am a little bored with it. :) I am in no way under the false pretense that this is making life easier for me. I am having to train, supervise, inspect, etc. But hopefully we will have some children with a sense of responsibility and pride in their capabilities before the summer is over!

I want to share more but really ought to get to bed. My internal clock gets really confused in the summer.

Oh, and I did get on the elliptical. My ankle was still swollen today (and is a lovely shade of mustard yellow) and was pretty achy. I only made it 15 minutes but I figure it is a start!
Reba


5 comments:

  1. Reba,
    The sunset was beautiful! However, I would be a little frightened at the sight!
    As far as chores go, Will and Rheagan have a daily chore list taped to the back of their bedroom doors. They have at least one chore every day, like sweep kitchen, take out trash, dust certain areas of the house, clean mirrors, clean playroom (this would be the day when it gets really clean, not just picked up), and things of that nature. Saturday their chore list says, "anything that mom asks you to do ;)". Needless to say, they hide from me on Saturdays.
    It works for us!
    Enjoy your day!
    Valerie Case

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our sky looked the same last night - wasn't it crazy? And a chore thing - I bought a really cute chore board for Emelyn's room at Hobby Lobby (there are just pictures on it for now - no chores!) but it came with magnets for the days of the week - it'll be a "cute" way to assign chores some day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! I know I mentioned our pretty sunset and a rainbow, but we DID NOT get one like THAT!! WOW WOW! Okay...I'll go read the rest of your post now. :) Just overcome with awe...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you for putting your kiddos to work! :) I think it's great for kids to share in the responsibility. My parents had a chore list for my brother and me. I vacuumed and dusted and he cleaned the bathrooms. We both helped empty the dishwasher. We would trade off who emptied the top/bottom. Now I am also remembering that I shook out the rugs. My brother had allergies so I did the things that might have bothered him. Anyway-- good for you! :)

    ReplyDelete

Sweet Words of Wisdom