Wednesday, May 11, 2011

In the Blink of an Eye

It isn't that they were my first group of kids...

In fact, by the time this group of students came along, I had already had five different classes.

This group was just a very tight knit group. A group who likes to keep in touch. My second group here.

Somehow in the fall, a comment was made that we should have a reunion.

From there, the idea took off.

A few weeks ago, my dear husband called a local restaurant and asked about reservations. I started searching for ways to contact the students. And then I waited. And waited.

I waited until tonight.

Tonight was THE night.

I was ready. Presents wrapped. Letters written. Cake ordered.

Then I realized how very nervous I was. Excited and nervous. What if I had nothing to say? What if I didn't recognize people? What if they came and wondered why the heck they were there?

Guess what?

I had the time of my life.

I had almost half my students there. (Three of the original 20 have moved away...)

I won't lie.

I wish they all had been there.

But I am thankful for the 9 who showed up!

It was so fun to listen to their tales of high school, to hear them reminisce over pictures I had brought, to find out where they are headed in life.

More than anything, I just felt proud. They are good kids (or at least they have me fooled :). They are going places in life. And for the most part, they get along with one another.

I found myself wondering...

How did we get from here...
to here?


I don't know the answer, other than it happened in the blink of an eye.

Whether I want it to or not, time marches on.

Sometimes I wish we could just stop it and enjoy the moment a little while longer.

That was where I was tonight.

I find myself trying not to blink...

Reba

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sweet Words of Wisdom