Monday, May 30, 2011

Retreatin'...

As I mentioned, the kids are hanging with grandparents this weekend. I am not sure if they will want to come back. They are having a grand time, enjoying some carefree summer days in Mississippi. Alas, my main man is also there. So I am on my own. Utterly alone.

Don't get me wrong. I am enjoying it. I like to have some silence. I like being able to do things on my own time. I have had lots of thinking time (which can get me in trouble sometimes :). And I am not listening to whining, tattling, arguing, or millions of questions. I mean, I miss those people, but sometimes taking a break from the responsibilities of parenthood is necessary for my well-being. I stress a lot as a parent, worry, fret, question, doubt. It is nice to have a break from that. A little relief. A little peace of mind.

At the same time, I want to spend every minute of that time wisely.

So I make the mistake every time of setting "goals" for myself on these rare occasions.

That was a mistake. I have a LONG list of "want done" chores for the house. But since we are close to the end of school (so I have been told...haven't seen that yet :), I have had to focus most of my time on school chores which have to get done one way or another.

So I have been busy.

I just haven't met my goals.

Before I get discouraged, I am going to remind myself of the things I have done rather than the things I haven't...

  • worked on my communication log (a log of my communication with parents)
  • emptied out e-mails on my school account
  • enjoyed dinner with my family (including sister and nieces/nephew)
  • emptied out the fridge (most of it)
  • cleaned out a lot of recycling materials (after emptying out the fridge)
  • organized my recipe/cookbook shelf in the kitchen
  • checked in on and commented on many blogs I follow.
  • put away clean clothes for children 3 and 4
  • organized 4's sock drawer
  • matched unmatched socks (as much as was possible)
  • wrote on a couple of my blogs...I haven't done enough cooking or hiking in recent days to post on those blogs :)
  • edited and organized 550 or so pictures from the school year. (My class, not my own kids)
  • took several pictures of the caterpillars/chrysalises for child 4 (as I made a mental note to next time order the insects when we have NO vacations or getaways coming up because they will start to change when he isn't here)
  • "graded" papers
  • went to Sunday School and church where I got to rock a precious baby
  • emptied out a couple of bags where I had "stuffed" stuff until I could deal with it
  • cleaned out the toaster (the best I could)
  • worked several hours in my classroom, starting to pack things up and organize
  • ran some errands in the afternoon rather than waiting for anyone to be in bed and having to do it late at night
  • read several newspapers that have piled up in the garage due to "busy"ness
  • a few loads of laundry
  • empty/refill the dishwasher
  • straightened up our scrapbooks/photo albums
  • caught up reading/commenting on friends' blogs
  • straightened up some kitchen drawers
I know I did several other things but even now, I am running out of steam.

Postnote:
I spent all day (Monday) at school planning for next year with most of my team.

The crew is home now.

Back to real life :)

Reba

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sweet Words of Wisdom