Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Making the Cut

I am going to guess that this week's posts will mainly be about unemployment.  It is kind of the big elephant in our room/house right now, so a lot of my thoughts are geared toward it.  Unfortunately. :) 

When my DH (dear hubby) first told me about his "unhiring" (the term his bosses used...guess that softens the blow???), I was in a state of shock.  Actually, in some ways, I still am.  We all are.

One of the first things I said was, "I am still going to the beach!"

If you know me at all, you know I spend my whole year looking forward to the next beach vacation.

And this year's is already planned.

Hubby reassured me that yes, we were still going.

Maybe not wise financially.  But it may just be my last hurrah.  I am aware that DH may not get a job for a while.  Or it may be a lower paying job. My beach days may end this year.  I am going to enjoy each and every moment there.  We may not be eating out as much.  And dolphin tours (rather pricey for six kids) are probably out.  But we will be going.

However, in my true conservative nature, I immediately starting rattling off things in my mind.  What can we cut out? Where can we scale back? How can we save a little money? 

In the spending department, I am right in the middle.  I am not excessively frugal. I don't use coupons nearly enough (that takes a lot of time and planning).  I also don't splurge often.  I shop "middle of the road" stores.  I buy generic for some things, name brands for other things (there is ONLY one Mtn. Dew out there :).  We occasionally treat ourselves to eating out but I cook much of the time to save a few bucks.  I ask for favorites for birthdays/ Christmas (favorite Bath and Bodyworks soaps, pistachios, Ghirardelli chocolates) so I don't have to buy them as much. :) 


So while I am thankful for most of the time being a sensible spender, I also realize that doesn't give me as much leeway in cutting back.

So all of these thoughts are swirling around in my head.  We have some expenses we will just have to face.  Braces.  Readoption (to officially change Joshua's name).  We have some expenses we can scale back on.  Groceries (especially the more expensive meals).  Clothing.  Extracurricular activities.  And some expenses may just have to become a thing of the past.  I am still working on those things in my mind.

I don't know what the future holds.  I know God will provide our needs, though I am not naive. I know there are many followers of Christ out there who are in dire circumstances too.  My needs may not be the needs He sees as needing to be met.  I may have to give up some things I have held dear to me.

And that won't be fun.

But I also know this is a temporary home.  (Earth, not my own home)

And one day I will be standing on streets of gold without a care in the world, standing before my Jesus.

That is all that truly matters.

Even more than trips to the beach.

Reba

1 comment:

  1. I am sorry! I am sure its not a good feeling however the Lord has a plan for your husband. I will pray for you.
    OMG! The notes that came home last week about Carson were awful! He does his classwork however he has trouble with he friends (can not play nice, says a lot of potty words, etc).

    ReplyDelete

Sweet Words of Wisdom