Sunday, June 3, 2012

The Best-Laid Plans...

What is that saying?

The best-laid plans of mice and men often go awry?

Okay, confession.

I didn't know the whole thing. 

I had to look it up.

All I could think were the first few words. Today's title.

That has come to mind a lot recently.

A month ago, we were sitting pretty comfortably.

We had two paychecks coming in.

We had plans.

Like possibly adding on to our house so our girls can have separate rooms.

And trips.

And remodeling the house somewhat.

Even joining the country club so my boys can play golf regularly.

Or buying a boat.

Not that I want to give the impression we are wealthy. Oh, no.  Not at all.

And we wouldn't have done all of those things.

We were just considering them.

And planning for at least one of them...


And here we are a month later, our plans awry.

Now I am standing at the store saying, "Is this something we really need?  Is this worth it?  Or can I live without it and save our money?"

Again, not to sound like we are suddenly thrust into poverty.  I don't want to start a pity party or act like we are begging for assistance.

We aren't.  Yet. :)

Just kidding.

Anyway, it just amazes me how quickly plans can change. 


What seemed so important a month ago doesn't seem nearly as important today.  Except maybe the adding on...the girls still think that is of utmost importance. :)


As we explore our options (feeling thankful that there are some), I realize yet again how much trust this involves.


Our life verse has always been Proverbs 3:5-6.


"Trust in the Lord with ALL your heart, and lean not on your own understanding.  In all your ways, acknowledge Him, and He will direct your paths."


That verse has gotten us through difficult days, like the adoptions.  And rough parenting days.  And medical scares.  And life changes (like moving).


And in this season of life, we are relying on its truths yet again.


Trusting yet again.


Because some of the options we are exploring still involve some unknowns.


But we cannot lean on our own understanding.


Which is good. 


Since I don't understand.


What I can do is acknowledge that God is the one who understands.  He has a plan.  And He will direct our ways.


Not necessarily OUR best-laid plans.  Obviously.


But His...


Reba

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sweet Words of Wisdom