Now, Santa, I think it goes without saying that I would like world peace, a thriving economy, for every orphan to find a family, for the pain and suffering of those with cancer or illness to be healed. Please know that while this list is mine and mine only, I would obviously wish for the above requests long before my own.
However, if you do take care of all of those requests, I have a few of my own that I would welcome...
I would like...
- five minutes in the bathroom without one person coming to the door, yelling, "Mom???" then not having any type of emergency, at least real emergency.
- two minutes without having a child seek me out to tattle on another child in the family.
- for every child to wake up happy, to get dressed (with no help), and to be ready five minutes early.
- for every child to be happy, no...thrilled, to partake in the meal that I have made. And even better that they might TELL me.
- to get one picture of everybody in the family looking at me (the photographer) and SMILING a natural smile.
- to have a fresh coat of paint (especially on major walls, doorframes, and baseboards) without me having to actually paint it.
- a Roomba...I think it would always get to snack in our kitchen under the breakfast table.
- an extra hour to my day (not to my kids' though)
- an easier way to change the sheets on a bunk bed
- an additional dishwasher so that dirty dishes never have to be IN the sink
- a self-cleaning refrigerator
- cute stylish pants that would automatically adjust to my body's weight and size
- someone who could match all of those lonely socks I have piled in a basket on my dryer
- a chauffeur to deliver children to their extracurricular activities
- a magic wand to magically clean those rooms that belong to little people, the very ones that make me cringe each time I walk in the door
- a volume control for anyone ages 12 and under in the house, including a mute button to be used when needed
- an exercise program that requires little energy or effort but burns millions of calories
- a guidebook to give me step by step directions on how to handle any situation or conversation that arises in our house on a given day
- a personal hairstylist to fix the girls' hair in a cute and unique way every day instead of the one lone scrunchy I know how to put in (sometimes unevenly)
- (thanks to my friend Robin for this one) a refrigerated oven that I can turn on remotely to start dinner
- a professional landscaper to come and create a delightful yard that fits the needs of all of our family (and throw in a neat fort/swingset to boot)
Santa, I know there are so many more things, but I don't want to take up my fair share (I am trying to tone down Christmas after all :), so I will save those requests for another day.
Reba, a.k.a. the Mom
PS Yes, despite what my children have said, I have been good or good enough all year long...