Saturday, April 11, 2009

Funkytown

It was a hard week. No ifs, ands, or buts. It wasn't that it was such a hard week for me (other than testing my kiddos which is a little bit of work...more on that later), but it was a hard week for several friends and co-workers. One situation especially has been weighing on my heart and distresses me as a mom, as a friend, as a woman. But then there have been several other stresses and difficulties right there with it.

I remember as a child I would hear grown ups talk about waiting for Christ's return one day. Though I have believed in Him, in heaven, in His return for several years, as a young child and even as a young adult, I could not understand that longing to leave this earth. I wanted to experience being married, having children, the joys of life. And there are those things...many joys. However, as I get older (and some of this may be facing my 20 year high school reunion this year), I realize more and more that there are many heartaches in life as well. And as I feel my heart ache (which comes nowhere close the heartaches of those I know dealing directly with the pains of life), I understand. I look forward to a day of no more tears, no more sin, no more hurts, no more fears. I keep thinking of the words I have sung, "This world is not my own..." and it is true.

The funny thing (not really funny as in haha, but as in ironic) that this year I am not in the "Oh, happy Easter!" mood. This year the story is more to me about redemption, about suffering, about overcoming evil. The words "Let this cup pass from me..." have a whole new meaning to me, as do the words, "It is finished".

I do want to thank so many of you who are praying. There are so many in need of that right now.

Sorry to be so serious. It has just been the way life has been recently. Thursday night I crashed at 11...unheard of for me. And last night, I rolled over around 10:30 (if that late), and fell asleep, clothes and all. I am thankful for a husband who takes up the slack over and over again on days I just cannot (even if it means giving up a baseball game or two...).

Today though is a beautiful day. The sun is shining (at least for today, I think tomorrow is going to involve a lot of rain). We are hoping to do a couple activities outside that I think the kids will enjoy. Then we will spend some time with my family decorating some eggs. Even in the darkest hours (hence my "funk" which relates to the title which I really do try to tie to the events of our lives), there is a hope.

More later!
Reba

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you've had a rough week/weekend. I was hoping to see you today at the park but missed you... hope your day is going well!

    ReplyDelete

Sweet Words of Wisdom