Wednesday, March 24, 2010

The Best Laid Plans...

What is that saying? The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry? (Don't be too impressed. I had to google the second half of that prhase. By the way, the first part goes with a few different sayings if my ending doesn't sound like you remember it.)

I don't know why I do it. Every single "break" (which is never truly a break with kids :), I make "plans". I set goals for myself.

It was all perfect in my mind. I was going to spend the first part of spring break working hard to organize. Organization is truly my goal. I just think I would breathe better if I were more organized. I know, I know, Mom. I should have done more of this BEFORE I had kids. Of course, I didn't have nearly as much to organize then!

So, my biggest goal? To clean up and out our attic. We have a wonderful attic. It has lots of space, lots of room to store things. However, it is cluttered. We have all of these stored handmedowns but it is such a pain to go in search of the clothes boxes we need because the boxes are so topsy turvy. I really planned to empty out the attic and then organize it, getting rid of a lot of stuff (including maternity clothes) in the process. But...then my sore foot flared up. Going up the attic ladder suddenly seemed like such a bad idea.

My next goal. Our closet. It is my "storage" area for mementos, photos, etc. I really don't save everything like I could (and probably did as a child) but with four kids times a few special pages/works/etc a month...it adds up! Unfortunately, I have yet to figure out how to "store" them especially since I don't have time to really scrapbook at this point in my life (scrapbook stuff is ALSO in the closet). Well, so far, I have just managed to clear out a few magazines and such from the closet. Nothing else. I really need to spend time in my closets to work on it but I have to supervise the kids alot. If I don't, there is NO telling what might happen. :)

Another goal? To do something fun with the kids each day. I thought we might go to the Laura Ingalls Wilder house in Missouri. Or hit the Tulsa zoo again. Something. Anything. Well, first it snowed like a foot. Then MY foot was an issue. Now we have hit the "rains" of March. Sigh.

That being said, I think my kids have had a good week. They have played a WHOLE lot. I love watching those imaginations at work. We have been more lenient with bedtimes and have enjoyed some family time watching t.v. (Yes, you can have family time doing that) We had smores one day just for fun. Today I took the two oldest to a movie, and tomorrow one has a friend coming over to hang out. So maybe the week hasn't been a total bust. Maybe they weren't the plans I laid out, but maybe, just maybe, they worked out anyway...

Reba

2 comments:

Sweet Words of Wisdom